Home quilts Value Quilt

Value Quilt

Value Quilt

Second finished quilt of the year and it’s only January 18th – There’s no way I’ll be able to keep this pace up!

This quilt, like all the best ones, tells a good story.

Amongst the many fabrics in it….

• A good friend and colleague’s pillowcase that she gave me when she left Canada
• Some fabric my mother has had for at least 25 years, and has been everything from curtains to cushion covers in many locations during my life
• Some fabric that Jim bought and sent to me during his detachment to Kenya last year
• A lot of Moda from the Wee Play & Look & Learn range
• Some Ikea
• A beautiful 1970s print pillowcase that I bought in a thrift store in Medicine Hat and have been eeking out through many projects
• An old ladies floral nightdress, which I bought on impulse because I loved the fabric
• Some Amy Butler remnants from a skirt I made
• Some eBay finds of unknown origin
• Some fabric from a remnants store in Limassol that I think has been in the shop since 1970

I finished the binding on this using a method I saw on this tutorial. It’s different from the traditional method that I was taught (where you have a 45 degree fold at the start) and I think quicker once you’ve got the hang of it. Two things I would add…. Its easier if you finish off the binding between machining to the front and hand stitching to the back and I’d also ignore the suggestion in the video to “add a quarter of an inch” I found that gave me too much fabric and its easier to stretch fabric a bit than to hide excess.

By the way, yesterday’s comment about the weather has jinxed us. The coptic storm known as ‘El fedra el kebira’ which arrives every year within 48 hours of January 19th, arrived today. It’s chucking it down with rain and 14c – that’ll teach me!

katrina lauren January 18, 2010 - 11:43 pm

Looks beautiful! Good work and good motivation to power through 2 quilts by mid January….oh to have motivation to follow through on projects…how nice it must be!
xo.
k

Karen January 20, 2010 - 12:57 am

Lovely quilt! I’m just starting the first of three things I was going to have done by the end of January. Oh well!

Gill January 22, 2010 - 9:50 pm

I’m sure I recognise the odd orange bit in there too?????
I really like these quilts you’re making…..I may have to commission you one day to do one for me if you’re up for it?

Clare Mansell January 23, 2010 - 6:55 am

Yup, there’s some more of your duvet cover in there! Trouble with getting someone to make a quilt for you is that the figures just don’t stack. You’ll just have to wait for a big birthday, or till I’m posted near you and I can teach you! 🙂

Gill January 23, 2010 - 3:38 pm

Damn, missed that one then…..got another nine and a half yrs to wait till the next ‘big’ birthday lol
As for learning to quilt….yeah I think if I added that to my list of hobbies to go along with scrapbooking and beading (which I haven’t done either of since we returned to the UK) I think Mr C would go bananas!!!! Thanks for the offer though 😉

SJ2B February 4, 2010 - 6:16 pm

Love all your projects…you’re an inspiration to a novice such as me. I’m on my second quilt and can’t wait to make loads more.

As I’m a newbie and in Saudi Arabia where its pretty difficult to get hold of books unless ordered via Amazon. I wondered if you had any good recommendations for quilting books. Or, even if you know where there is a good book review blog on them.

Sharon

Clare Mansell February 4, 2010 - 8:13 pm

My most recent favourite quilting book is Material Obsession…

But I get most of my inspiration from other people’s blogs and that’s free too! I highly recommend the House On Hill Road blog and All Buttoned Up. I totally understand the frustrations with buying patterns (and fabric!) overseas! Thank heavens for Amazon!

SJ2B February 6, 2010 - 8:17 pm