Home handmade My lovely Harris Tweed bag

My lovely Harris Tweed bag

My lovely Harris Tweed bag

My lovely Harris Tweed bag
Look what I got in the post yesterday!

I’m not usually the kind of girl who gets excited about bags, but this is no ordinary bag, it’s a Harris Tweed bag!

For those of you who aren’t familiar with this very Scottish fabric, Harris Tweed is handwoven in the Outer Hebrides. Its famous for being the fabric that Miss Marple’s suits were made from and is a favourite of Vivienne Westwood (whose logo looks a little similar) and as you can see from my bag, Harris Tweed isn’t all browns and greens anymore, they’ve released some really beautiful modern cloths in recent years…

Harris Tweed - Pinks & Purples

I’ve wanted a Harris Tweed bag for ages and I eventually got round to ordering one in October, but then had to wait two months for just the right shade of tweed to be available. My bag was eventually made by a lady on the Isle Of Lewis, which is off the north-west coast of Scotland.

Now all I need is a coat to match…

Adventures of a Middle-aged Matron December 16, 2011 - 12:35 pm

I’m mighty jealous of your bag. My best friend is from Lewis and her father owned a harris tweed mill, but I never got a handbag. Next time, go and fetch it yourself because it’s a glorious island with empty sandy beaches.

Diane-crewe December 16, 2011 - 1:20 pm

OOOH! It looks very touchable xx

Archie the wonder dog December 16, 2011 - 8:05 pm

I love it!

fiona December 16, 2011 - 9:20 pm

I am soooooo jealous! It’s gorgeous. I may just have to steal your idea – I want one.

Annie Walsh December 17, 2011 - 5:08 am

It’s lovely the colors are fabulous.

A Home In The Highlands December 17, 2011 - 8:01 am

We’ve been to Mull, but not Lewis (yet) an the islands are beautiful!

jo December 20, 2011 - 7:12 pm

We went to Lewis and Harris last summer and saw the tweed being made the old fashioned way. The islands are glorious with the most stunning scenery and beaches. I want to go to Arran and Mull next – who needs tropical beaches?????

Quiltaholic December 23, 2011 - 5:10 am

WOW! that IS remote! I love Scotland *sigh* Lovin your blog and can’t wait to get back and visit again! Mahalo (thank you) *HUGS*

Murano Vase May 25, 2013 - 7:22 am

I totally love this. Just fascinated by the interesting colors.

Tartangirl February 22, 2014 - 12:27 pm

Hi there ! I am a French Fashion blogger and my blog is all about tartan and tweed. I now want to open a “Tartan &Tweed” group on Facebook and would like to know if I could use your lovely photo above of the tweed cloth for the banner. My blog is http://tartangirlswardrobe.eklablog.com and my Facebook page Tartangirl Alba and Tartangirl’s Wardrobe. I hope you will agree. By the way, I love your bag and have added the shop you bought it from to my list of onlineshops.