Last week while I was browsing around Twitter I discovered the Great Bloggers Bake-Off, a simple but brilliant idea from The Crazy Kitchen encouraging bloggers to make their own recipes inspired by The Great British Bake-Off.
I only got round to watching this week’s GBBO episode on Friday, but with my neice and nephew staying with us on Saturday night I thought it would be the perfect excuse to whip-up a trifle.
When we told my 11 year-old niece Millie that we had made a trifle with a surprise ingredient she said “Oh, is it popping candy? Because whenever anyone says they have a surprise ingredient it’s always that…”
This recipe is based on my mum’s with a few added touches….
1 pint of milk
1 tablespoon of caster sugar
Small pot of double cream
2 tins of black cherries
Lady fingers or trifle sponges
Heston’s chocolate-coated popping candy
(1) Create a layer of lady fingers on the base of your dish
(2) Pour the juices of the tinned cherries over the sponge fingers
(3) Make your custard. Of course you can use tinned, but I make my own so I can get it thick! I double the quantity of custard powder advised (4 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp) and then halve the sugar (1 tbsp instead of 2 tbsp.) Pour the custard on the sponge fingers then allow to cool.
(4) Next add the tinned cherries, followed by the whipped cream
(6) Sprinkle (unsurprising) chocolate popping candy on top
Another one of my favourite puddings and so easy! Click on the badge below (or go here) to see some of the other great pudding recipes….