Home Uncategorized What matters most?

What matters most?

What matters most?

John Lewis insurance recently invited me to take part in a competition they are running under the banner of “What Matters Most.”

To enter you have to submit a photograph and six words that sum up a treasured possession or family heirloom for a chance to win £500 of John Lewis vouchers.

I have been thinking about it all week and the truth is, I don’t really have any family heirlooms or a great deal of high value possessions and jewellery, but I realised that we do have one particular object which is greatly treasured by this family.

It’s a bear that used to belong to Jim’s mother. He’s been around the world with us and had his fair share of adventures. In Canada he lost a leg after some rather boisterous play with Macy (who should never have got hold of him to start with!)

Then he traveled one-legged with us to our posting in Cyprus and from there he flew back to a teddy bear hospital in the UK for treatment. He returned after reconstructive surgery, a complete bear again, all be it with one leg which is a slightly different shade to the rest of his body.

These days our old bear lives a more risk averse life, sitting on a high shelf far away from doggies and inquisitive toddlers, we want to make sure he survives to tell his tales to the next generation. My six words to sum him up? One bear with a false leg.

So what’s the possession that matters most to you?

You have until 25th March to enter the competition and you can do so (and view the other entries) by heading to http://whatmatters.johnlewis-insurance.com/

This post was written in association with John Lewis Insurance

loulabeth ♡ March 14, 2014 - 10:49 am

I have so many possessions that mean a lot to mean, such as teddies from when I was little plus gifts from my boyfriend, they aren’t worth a lot in money but they are worth a lot sentimentally! The teddy bear is so cute (:

L x

Diane-crewe March 14, 2014 - 10:51 am

good luck.. surly he has survived enough travels and problems to stand a chance x

Corinne March 14, 2014 - 11:02 am

That bear is adorable. What a lovely store of his adventures.

Good luck in the comp!

Corinne x

Nancy March 14, 2014 - 9:21 pm

As a child my favourite toy was a stuffed panda bear. So loved that he did not survive my childhood. But I have to tell you that when my mother was trying to teach me the words Grampa and Grandma I failed to pronounce them correctly and they became Gamma and Panda Moysey (my mom) and Gamma and Panda Layne (my dad) – those names had staying power and lasted until they died.

Lucy Dorrington March 16, 2014 - 2:05 pm

I have short term memory problems, so it really helps me to have little reminders of events or occasions. I am particularly attached to things my children have made! X

Kate Thompson March 16, 2014 - 2:05 pm

I have my Mum’s bear, complete with an outfit SHE used to wear in the late 1930s 🙂

JO BRYAN March 16, 2014 - 2:45 pm

he is a gorgeous bear and I bet has lots of tales to tell. Glad he is all in one piece again.

Clare Nicholas March 16, 2014 - 4:13 pm

A very cute bear. It would be hard to choose one thing which meant a lot to me

You Baby Me Mummy March 16, 2014 - 4:37 pm

Such a lovely teddy. Not sure what my most treasured possession is, probably photo’s x

Michelle Ordever March 16, 2014 - 6:17 pm

He’s had quite the adventure.

I’ve got a couple of teddy bears that mean a lot to me. I cherish them both. My wedding and engagement rings are another treasured possession, as are my photographs of my loved ones x

Sonya Cisco March 16, 2014 - 7:30 pm

Love his story, am glad his has a new leg! We have a couple of old, loved, somewhat grubby bears in the family, and they are very treasured!

Cass@TheDiaryofaFrugalFamily March 16, 2014 - 7:35 pm

So cute – my most treasured possession is probably my external hard drive which is filled with so many photos and I’d be devastated if I lost that!

Steph @ sisterhoodandallthat March 16, 2014 - 7:54 pm

Photographs are definitely my most treasured possession – house is covered in them too

Kirsty Phillipson-Lowe March 16, 2014 - 8:10 pm

Arrr what a lovely treasured bear, lovely pictures and story 🙂

Jen Walshaw March 16, 2014 - 9:20 pm

What a gorgeous bear. I am not sure if we have such a precious possession.

Happy Homebird March 16, 2014 - 10:41 pm

So cute. My mum collects teddy bears, I have a fair few too but I wish I had my ‘bono’ ted that I had as a child. Lovely that your ted has such a special story.

laura redburn March 17, 2014 - 11:05 am

things like this just prove that something doesn’t have to have monetary value to be considered important. it’s all about the memories things hold, or even just something that makes you feel really good.