Home remodel House remodel week 2 : Someone stole our roof!

House remodel week 2 : Someone stole our roof!

House remodel week 2 : Someone stole our roof!

I think we’ve just reached that stage of a house build where people start panicking about their builders walking out on them – basically we have no roof!

Our hall has now widened to accommodate the staircase and our old bedroom and sitting room are one new room. Standing in what was the old sitting room, it seems incredible that it ever accommodated all our furniture, but footprints of houses are funny things, you look at a room with no ceiling, no plaster and no furniture and it looks small, these rooms will grow again as the house changes.

Behind that black tarpaulin in the bottom photo are a set of double glass doors where currently (temporarily) my desk is. When the builders realised I spent a lot of the day sitting at my desk they suddenly got very concerned about the glass in the doors being damaged and covered it up to “protect” it. You’ll note that they don’t appear as concerned about the doors that lead to the outside!

We also had an extraordinary bit of luck a couple of weeks ago that I’ve being meaning to tell you about. I entered a competition for a bathroom size electric underfloor heating system on the facebook page of Fit My Wood Floor. I couldn’t believe it when they contacted me to say we’d actually won! The heating system will now go in our new en-suite, I’m looking forward to toasty toes in the morning!

Fran March 18, 2014 - 10:42 am

All looks so exciting!

Charlotte March 18, 2014 - 11:48 am

this looks awesome, i want to have our home built one day, you can have it exactly how you want 🙂

Carie March 18, 2014 - 11:49 am

Oh wow! It’s really coming along and I love the photos – such a wonderful perspective!

Emma White March 18, 2014 - 12:03 pm

omg how exciting cant wait to see the finished result

Gemma Button March 18, 2014 - 1:09 pm

Such an exciting time! These photos of you and little one are adorable, so natural, looking forward to the finished result 🙂

Gemma
ButtonsBlog

Lauren March 18, 2014 - 1:14 pm

Wow well done on your competition win.
It must be so odd seeing your house without a roof. It all sounds so exciting, it’s lovely that you are sharing it on your blog too x

Isisjem March 18, 2014 - 4:40 pm

Well done on your win. Electric underfloor heating can be v expensive to run so at least you’ve saved some on the purchase!

Clare Mansell March 18, 2014 - 4:56 pm

I have been warned about this, but hopefully it will be affordable for a short slot every morning!

Wes March 18, 2014 - 10:23 pm

Hi Clare,

Thanks very much for the mention and all the best with epic project 🙂 No doubt you’re all becoming very familiar with dust. All well worth it in the end when the top comes off the champagne.

Thanks for taking part in our competition. It looks like the best family won 🙂

Regards,

Wes.

cat | Studio Hunting Bears March 19, 2014 - 10:35 am

Congrats on winning the underfloor heating, we have some in our garden room it’s not hot as you would expect but it’s just warm. It’s very noticeable in winter when you step from the kitchen solid floor… brrrrr to the back room and it’s not hot like I say but it’s not cold… very peculiar. I think bathroom heating may be slightly different in that you’ll feel that it’s warm?

You are doing brilliantly at keeping your blog going and staying happy with builders in your home. Even the best builders don’t always consider how you feel about them propping up their barrows with your doors which aren’t being replaced! We had new decking put down and the builders left scaffolding on it and it rained heavily… we now have rust stains on the decking that won’t come off, even though they said it would.

I’m loving following your journey and can’t wait to see it all finished. x