Home Uncategorized One Second Every Day – Capturing your family in 2015

One Second Every Day – Capturing your family in 2015

One Second Every Day – Capturing your family in 2015

one second every day
A few weeks ago I watched the film Chef, which is a brilliant movie in all sorts of ways and particularly good to watch if you are interested in social media or food (and I’m interested in both!) The short version of the plot is Jon Favreau is a disenchanted chef driving a food truck from Miami to Los Angeles with his pre-teen son and creating a social media buzz as he does so. One of the many things the son does is post One Second Every Day films on various social media channels. I’d never come across them before, but I immediately went on to youtube and loved what I found.

One Second Everyday is like the 365 project but better. It allows you to capture moments from your life in more depth without feeling that each capture has to be beautiful. One second doesn’t sound a lot, but it’s enough. I started filming the morning after I watched Chef and I haven’t stopped since. My mini-film of half of November and all of December is just 54 seconds long and I love what I have so far. A whole year’s worth will only be six minutes in total which I think will be a pretty cool thing to watch next New Years Eve.

So if you are looking for a new creative project for 2015, why don’t you join me and film your life? If you are thinking of starting vlogging, it’s a great way to dip your toe in the water without having to do anything too complicated. There’s even an app which you can download which stitches the snippets of film together for you in the right order. Yes I know it would have been rather helpful of me to have published this a couple of days ago so you could join me from the start of the year (oops!) but really you can leap in anywhere, it doesn’t matter.

A few tips from what I’ve learned so far…

* Try and record something early in the day. You can always use a different clip if you record something better
* Record things with movement in them. The shots that worked least well for me were the ones with nothing happening in them
* Record about 5 seconds to give yourself a choice of cut to use
* Get over your fear of recording in public, no one bats an eyelid if you are using a mobile to film.

I’ll be sharing my month long 1SE films every month, if you decide to join in please let me know!

Mark Harris January 2, 2015 - 9:08 am

That’s a wonderful picture of Theo. Good luck with the new Blog Clare, I wish you loads of success in 2015.

Laura Dunleavy January 2, 2015 - 12:12 pm

That is so strange, I only just found out about Chef last week, my Canadian friends told me about it. I definitely have to watch it now thanks to your post. Hope you had a lovely New Year and all the best. My blog is http://www.topstyleadvice.co.uk

Top Style Advice January 2, 2015 - 12:18 pm

That is so strange, I only found out about this last week from my Canadian friends. I have to watch it now based on your post, thanks. Stop by my blog some time at Top Style Advice

Happy New Year!

Helpful Mum January 2, 2015 - 7:57 pm

Lovely idea. I run month in a minute over on my blog which is a similar concept, although it is two seconds rather than one. You would be welcome to link up there too.

You Baby Me Mummy January 2, 2015 - 8:51 pm

Oh I love this and am definitely going to join in. Thanks so much for sharing x

Beautyqueenuk January 2, 2015 - 8:58 pm

Aw this is such a lovely idea, I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with or rather the pictures and memories you create x

pinkoddy January 2, 2015 - 9:23 pm

Oh what a lovely idea – and my husband is always after films to watch together.

Stephs Two Girls January 2, 2015 - 10:55 pm

What a fantastic idea! Having done Project 365 year before last, and the siblings linky last year, I like the idea of something new – I’m in, or at least I will try to be!! 🙂

Jen Walshaw January 3, 2015 - 2:19 pm

Off to look at this. I have never done 365, but the fact is I take so many photos any way!

Becky Brown January 3, 2015 - 6:12 pm

This is such a lovely idea. I know I don’t have the time to dedicate to this at the moment but maybe I’ll try it for one month of the year. The new look blog is fantastic! Looking forward to your new approach for the new year!

Healthier Mummy January 3, 2015 - 7:23 pm

This is a great idea. I’m going to bookmark this page so I can read it and crack on with this next month.

Bek B January 3, 2015 - 9:14 pm

This look like a fantastic, creative idea. I shall keep this in mind.

Sylvia Fiolunka January 3, 2015 - 9:19 pm

Watching Chef is on my list this year 🙂 It seems like a great idea and I certainly have to consider doing this myself 🙂

Zing Zing Tree January 4, 2015 - 11:24 pm

Oh I love this idea. Think I’ll have to join in with it if I remember.

mascara & mud January 5, 2015 - 1:57 pm

Just downloaded the app…what a fantastic idea!

Globalmouse January 5, 2015 - 3:05 pm

I love this, what a brilliant idea – have forward the app to my OH!

Vaichin@RamblingThroughParenth January 6, 2015 - 2:49 pm

Such a lovely idea. I might actually join you on this.

Donna Wishart January 7, 2015 - 10:59 pm

Oh what a great idea! I hope you share your film when it’s finished x

February Round Up (One Second Every Day) » Maybush Studio March 4, 2015 - 7:01 am

[…] A post about where I got the idea from and my first One Second Every Day video… […]