Home days out Stansted Park, Hampshire

Stansted Park, Hampshire

Stansted Park, Hampshire

Yesterday marked the end of Christmas leave and a lovely fortnight together as a family. As always we didn’t manage to do half the things we’d planned, but we did have a great Christmas and new year, lots of open fires, some lovely meals, card games and movies and Jim and Theo spent loads of time building Lego together. I redesigned this blog and went some way towards sorting out a backlog of photos that need cataloging. Strangely the tax return and my last university assignment still remain undone but there’s plenty of time for both when serious work resumes tomorrow!

So we decided to finish off the Christmas fortnight with a little trip to Stansted House and the lovely forest and grounds that surround it. We’ve been here a few times in previous summers to visit the miniature railway, maze and garden centre and as we’ve come along the drive past the acres of parkland we’ve always remarked that we should bring the dogs here.

stansted2_edit

The house was built in 1684 and is now run by a charitable trust. You can tour the house during the summer months and their is a tea room in the grounds which we have been meaning to visit. Out of season though one of the biggest pulls is the huge estate and vast areas of open ground to walk with dogs.

stansted1_edit
stansted5_editIn front of the house is The Avenue, a wide strip of open grassland that cuts between the trees and runs as far as the eye can see. It’s doggy paradise with lots of other pups running free and loads of things to stop and sniff. We were slowed down a bit by having to carry Theo’s bike through the muddy patches, but I imagine in summer when the ground is harder he’ll be tearing up and down here without any problems.

stansted_theome_edit

Today it’s back to work and school and the proper start to 2015 after the break I am feeling refreshed and full of plans and ideas, I hope you are looking forward to this year as much as we are!

Info :
Stansted Park
Rowlands Castle
Hampshire
PO9 6DX

I’m linking up with Living Arrows today, the project to capture a portrait a week of your children. You can see my favourite photos from last year here

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays CornwallLiving Arrows

dont call me stepmum January 5, 2015 - 12:27 pm

What a lovely place. Gorgeous photos, I really love the portraits of Theo with the stick, and the two of you together. Glad you’re so excited for 2015, I’m feeling it too.

lifeasourlittlefamily January 5, 2015 - 2:06 pm

Absolutely stunning photgraphs and looks like a great place to visit. Did you manage to pla pooh-sticks? #LivingArrows

Circusmum January 5, 2015 - 2:08 pm

What a lovely place to spend some time. Your photos look amazing and makes me want to drive down to Hampshire for a visit myself.
xx Tinuke

Let's Talk Mommy January 5, 2015 - 2:59 pm

Ahh what a lovely location for photos and a great family time together. Your little one is adorable and has grown up so much over the last year of me reading your blog. So beautiful! #ivingarrows

Mammasaurus January 5, 2015 - 4:06 pm

It’s so lovely to see so many photos this week have kiddos enjoying being outside! x

You Baby Me Mummy January 5, 2015 - 7:39 pm

Gorgeous pictures and what a stunning setting x #LivingArrows

Vickie Rich January 5, 2015 - 7:47 pm

Beautiful photos! The one of you and your son is really lovely. I live in Hampshire and didn’t even know that Stansted Park existed. Now I’m definitely going to have to pay it a visit.

Lauren_W January 5, 2015 - 7:50 pm

Oh what a beautiful place to visit. I love his coat and the photo of you together x

Emma V January 6, 2015 - 10:01 am

That looks like a great place to visit with kids. I’m in Hampshire too, I must find out where Stansted Park is. I love the photo with the stick, my three always end up carrying sticks around.

Hayley January 6, 2015 - 3:15 pm

Oh my gosh, that place is so gorgeous! I love that he found himself a stick too! Thanks for joining in with Living Arrows x

Coombe Mill (Fiona) January 6, 2015 - 3:41 pm

Stanstead house looks truly beautiful! I love the long strip of grassland surrounded by trees, really does add to the stately look of the place! It’s a shame it was a little too muddy for Theo to have a proper thrash around on his bike, but I’m sure he had a great time running about with you and the dogs. Thanks for linking up with Country Kids.

Sarah D January 6, 2015 - 8:32 pm

love the picture with the stick – no good walk is complete without a stick!
#livingarrows

one tiny leap January 7, 2015 - 8:50 pm

Lovely pictures, Stanstead house looks stunning! We must stop by next time we’re in Hampshire 🙂

Donna Wishart January 7, 2015 - 9:38 pm

Oh this isn’t too far from us and yet I have never heard of it. I am bookmarking it for a visit when the weather warms up 🙂 x

lisa prince January 10, 2015 - 3:11 pm

oh what a beautiful place i love the old houses in the country like this , what it must have been like to live there back in the years it was built, lovely picture of the little one and his stick , my kids look for sticks all the time while out and about