Home Uncategorized Walking Chichester Canal

Walking Chichester Canal

Walking Chichester Canal

chicanal4_edit

Yesterday we had our Sunday family walk along a two mile stretch of Chichester Canal. The canal itself runs from the city centre, all the way to the marina and the sea. Only a short stretch of it is still navigable, although there are some ambitious plans to rebuild a bridge and reopen the whole length of the waterway.

I’ve always liked canals, particularly after a brilliant family holiday we had a few years ago on the Brecon & Momouthshire Canal. Being beside the water is lovely anyway, but canals are always tranquil and full of wildlife and clues about their lost history.

theocanal2_edit

I didn’t realise until this weekend, but Turner painted a famous masterpiece depicting this stretch of canal and when I Googled it and compared it to the photo I took at the start of our walk the view is almost identical. There is actually a lovely house for sale in this spot with a slipway and a patio that looks out on the water, though I think a few of us might need to club together to afford it!

chicanal7_edit

The other thing that is great about canals at this time of year is the lack of mud! Country living is not very glamorous in the winter and I am a little fed up with constantly washing the dogs/bikes/boots down every morning. So a run on the tow path was exactly what we needed!

Talking of which, have I ever mentioned what a huge success Theo’s balance bike has been? We bought it for him the Christmas before last and he is very rarely off it. I would recommend them to anyone, particularly if you have trouble persuading little legs to walk long distances.

chicanal1_edit2

Today I am once again linking up with…

Living Arrows Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

Jen January 12, 2015 - 12:36 pm

i absolutely love the photography in this post. It looks so peaceful and what a beautiful boy.
Jen x

Cerys January 12, 2015 - 1:27 pm

His face in that last one!! adorable!

Amy January 12, 2015 - 1:34 pm

What beautiful pics, I love the light and his face as he’s riding along, bless him x

Mammasaurus January 12, 2015 - 1:37 pm

Totally cute smile – that last photo especially!

CHLOE GRIFFITHS January 12, 2015 - 5:24 pm

these photo’s are adorable. he’s such a cutie 🙂 xo

Alexandra @dontcallmestepmummy January 13, 2015 - 1:48 pm

So lovely to see him on the bike again, and like you said not having to struggle through the mud this time. What a great idea to enjoy nature, the stillness of the canals and greenery without getting muddy. Tow path, who knew? Not me. Beautiful photos (will be taking my little ones sometime soon to one near me) #livingarrows

Karen January 13, 2015 - 8:38 pm

Look how grown up your little man is, just gorgeous! X

Coombemill January 13, 2015 - 11:14 pm

Shhh, don’t shattered everyone’s illusions about country life in winter! Seriously I’m quite glad we close November and January as the farm can get into a real muddy mess. This canal path looks like it is really well drained with a lovely path for cycling along and plenty to see. thank you for sharing some wonderful photos on Country Kids.

Merlinda (@pixiedusk) January 14, 2015 - 8:29 pm

That is a stunning place! A nice road to try balance bike too! We removed the stabilizers in my son’s bike and he is using it as a balance bike and not using the pedal. A bit uncomfy but when we have the budget we promise to buy him one =) #livingarrows