Home Uncategorized How to make sweet & savoury doughnuts in a doughnut maker

How to make sweet & savoury doughnuts in a doughnut maker

How to make sweet & savoury doughnuts in a doughnut maker

A few weeks ago I was given a doughnut maker by iwoot.com to review. To be absolutely precise it is actually a 3 in 1 sweet treat maker, but it was its doughnut making abilities that really called to me. I’m not sure quite what it is about doughnuts, but everyone in my family loves them and if you make them at home, surely they are only half as bad as if you buy them?

How to make mini doughnuts at home

Well actually it’s even better than that, cause the recipes I came up with really have a minimal amount of bad stuff in them and they are delicious too. Both sweet and savoury mixes start from the same dough mix…

230g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
100g butter

I divided the mixture and then added diffferent flavouring to each half…

apple and cinamon doughnuts

For the sweet I added one Bramley apple which I had pureed with about a teaspoon of water in a saucepan on the hob, a healthy scattering of cinammon and about 50g of sugar.

bacondoughnuts1600

For the bacon and cheese doughuts (don’t know them till you have tried them!) I added about 6 rashers of pre-cooked bacon and 120g of swiss cheese. Both mixtures cook in about six minutes and were a big hit with everyone from teens to grown-ups. You can see how the doughnut maker works and follow along with the recipe below..

I would love to know what you think of the flavours and if anyone has a doughnut maker already?

Linking up with Your YouTube & #PoCoLo

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Sue Bone January 22, 2015 - 8:34 am

Recipe above says 1tbsp of baking powder but video says 1tsp.

Sue

claremansell@mac.com January 22, 2015 - 10:14 am

Thank you Sue, that’s now been corrected. The video was right.

Lilinha Espindula January 22, 2015 - 8:49 pm

Yummy, the cinnamon apple doughnuts sound delicious! I’ve never had a savoury doughnut before, but I bet they were lovely too! 🙂 x

Karen January 22, 2015 - 8:59 pm

Get you professional vlogger in your gorgeous kitchen. Love it x

claremansell@mac.com January 22, 2015 - 9:02 pm

Shhh.. don’t tell anyone, but it’s my sister’s kitchen! Heck of a lot better than an Army one though isn’t it?! 🙂

Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) January 23, 2015 - 5:28 pm

I love bacon in my doughnuts and pancakes! This looks so promising and will definitely try this! I don’t have that donut maker tho. #pocolo

Verily Victoria Vocalises January 24, 2015 - 8:38 pm

I love your vlog Clare – it is fab! Your sisters kitchen is gorgeous – as is that doughnut maker, I didn’t realise such a thing existed!! Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo x

Katy January 25, 2015 - 8:54 am

Lovely video, great kitchen (I see it’s borrowed I need to convince a friend to let me do the same as mine is like a postage stamp!!) Can I ask did you have someone helping you with filming or did you just keep re setting with a tripod?
P.S I am now starving and only a doughnut will do!

claremansell@mac.com January 25, 2015 - 9:46 am

My sister helped me filming this one. The first half was shot on a tripod and the second half was hand-held. It’s a constant learning curve and I’m not sure we’ve nailed it yet. 🙂

Jules January 26, 2015 - 2:27 pm

Yummy and I want your kitchen! #YourYoutube

Samantha Rickelton January 27, 2015 - 12:57 pm

Oh these doughnuts look so cute! You can’t beat warm doughnuts from a fair so would be great to recreate at home #TastyTuesdays

Laura @ Life with Baby Kicks January 28, 2015 - 6:46 am

I had never even thought about savoury doughnuts. These don’t sound bad for you at all… unlike krispy kreme x

Steph @MisplacedBrit January 28, 2015 - 9:54 am

I didn’t even know that there was such a thing as a doughnut maker!! …Yep, there’d have to be a savory variation or that would be dangerous in my kitchen 😉

#TastyTuesday

HonestMum January 30, 2015 - 10:00 pm

Never tried a donut maker but want to know, although like Steph says, it could be dangerous! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

Lisa H January 31, 2015 - 2:05 pm

Fantastic video Claire and wow they look yummy! Such an easy thing to make and love the donut maker!

Otilia January 31, 2015 - 9:06 pm

Oh my these looks so yum! you are great on camera! how lovely!

Nayna Kanabar (@citrusspiceuk) February 1, 2015 - 9:00 pm

These look really delicious. I need one of these donut makers.

Victoria Mylittlel April 7, 2015 - 3:28 pm

i love doughnuts, would be great to taste ones with cinnamon