Home Uncategorized What you learn from cold winter walks

eh0102_3
eh0102_4
eh0102_2
eh0102_7
eh0102_8
eh0102_5
eh0102_1_editI was having a discussion with a friend the other day about teaching children resilience and strength of character and that fine line as parents between being tough and being too tough.

Yesterday we took Theo out on a very cold winter walk along the beach. He was wrapped up tightly in multiple layers like an Inuit child, but still not entirely immune to the biting north-easterly wind. He has endured this kind of daily exposure to the elements since birth and consequently will now walk for quite long distances and in quite unpleasant conditions without ever grumbling. In fact most of the time he seems to enjoy it, even when his face has gone red and his nose is streaming.

Yesterday’s walk was exhilarating but not always enjoyable. For me the pleasure on these kind of walks comes in stages. First the initial blast of sea air, then after the hard slog against the wind you turn the corner and have a reprieve, then you reach the car and start to thaw out and finally you are back home feeling well exercised and entitled to enjoy a hot chocolate and a croissant.

On days like this, it would probably be easier for one of us to stay at home with Theo inside a centrally heated house, but I think it’s good to get out. Life doesn’t always give you a convenient get out and so learning to take the rough with the smooth is a good lesson in life and of course there is the added benefit of how well we all sleep after a few hours of fresh air and exercise.

Linking up with … Point & Shoot and Living Arrows

Sonya Cisco February 2, 2015 - 8:35 am

I find the hardest bit of winter walks the getting off the sofa and going out in the first place – once there I am always struck by how beautiful things are in winter, there is a certain clarity to the light that I love. And you can’t beat a good pub lunch afterwards 🙂

Summer February 2, 2015 - 10:20 am

A great set of photos they are so lovely x

Gemma February 2, 2015 - 10:23 am

Beautiful photos, it’s so easy to stay in when it’s cold but theres nothing better than a Winter walk x

Kara February 2, 2015 - 10:39 am

Nothing beats a walk along the beach in the winter – I actually prefer it as the beaches are quieter

lisa prince February 2, 2015 - 11:18 am

Ii always love looking at your pics, wish i knew what camera it was you used and how to take pictures as well, we love the beach as a family x

claremansell@mac.com February 2, 2015 - 1:01 pm

Thank you Lisa, that is a lovely compliment. I shoot with a Nikon D7100, but the biggest thing that affects my images is that I shoot in RAW (not Jpeg) which is a form of digital negative. This means I “finish” the images myself instead of the camera deciding how they look. All cameras will produce slightly different images (maybe more blue, maybe darker etc.) which is why I like to have control over the end look.

Carie February 2, 2015 - 12:50 pm

I was brought up on the coast with a similar philosophy – it took a lot for us not to go out for a walk and I’ve done the same with my little ones; most days we head out in the afternoon, even if it’s just to the playpark and everything seems so much better after a bit of time in the fresh air. I think I need to get myself some new waterproof trousers though because the girls are still keen to head out even when I think it’s a bit too chilly thanks to some new ski trousers!!

Karen February 2, 2015 - 12:52 pm

Gorgeous photos Clare. We love getting out and about too and although 1 or more of them often grumble they prefer it to be kept inside x

Kara February 2, 2015 - 12:54 pm

Look at his lovely rosy cheeks, I miss going for walks in the winter, unfortunately our disabled son would not tolerate it, but I agree it really is a must xx

Nikki Thomas February 2, 2015 - 1:56 pm

Some very wise words there. I agree that getting out and experiencing life is always better than staying indoors, especially for children. That walk looks amazing, it makes me wish I lived nearer the sea

Jenny February 2, 2015 - 2:38 pm

Gorgeous gorgeous captures as always. Lovely post hunny. It’s great to get out for fresh air. #livingarrows

You Baby Me Mummy February 2, 2015 - 6:02 pm

Such fabulous pictures! Very beautiful. Thanks for linking up to #PointShoot x

Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely February 2, 2015 - 8:46 pm

Oh I completely agree. Winter walks are the best. You just have to wrap up. My little two spent their first years in Switzerland and if we’d have let the cold stop up, we’d have spent months indoors. I love a good walk even if you return with red noses and freezing fingers.

Cerys February 3, 2015 - 11:56 am

the best bit about the walks are the warm up drinks when you get home! A baileys coffee with Squirty Cream? Go on then!

Natalie @ Little Jam Pot Life Blog February 3, 2015 - 4:44 pm

These are beautiful. looks like a lovely setting too. fresh air is so good for the soul xx

VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood February 3, 2015 - 4:56 pm

As long as the sun is shining and there is warm clothing, the beach can be so exhilarating in the winter. Popping over from #PointShoot

Baby Isabella February 5, 2015 - 8:18 pm