Home family life Rediscovering Roald Dahl…

Rediscovering Roald Dahl…

Rediscovering Roald Dahl…

As a child I always loved reading and I have carried the habit on to adulthood, mostly reading real books, with the occasional ebook in the mix. However despite my own love of reading I have always been wary of assuming Theo would automatically follow in my footsteps

theobook_edit2_1600

Children of his generation have been born into a world of television, tablets and apps, brighter, flashier more alluring things that I wouldn’t blame him for being drawn to. However it seems I underestimated him, books have been a staple of the bedtime routine for a while, but are also becoming a frequently requested distraction during the day. We have read through all the popular books (can you ever get enough of Julia Donaldson?) worked our way through a library of Thomas The Tank Engine stories (whose phrasing is a little clunky and stuffy, but apparently still alluring) and even dipped our toes into the world of Beatrix Potter.

So on Friday when we were stuck at home all day whilst the car was being serviced, Theo asked again to have a story read to him and I decided to test his attention span by reaching for something a little older, with a little less pictures… Roald Dahl’s George’s Marvellous Medicine.

I had a blanket memory of all Roald Dahl books being great, but honestly I had forgotten just how fabulous each book is. The language is delicious, the stories wild and ridiculous and the pace frantic and compelling. We both sat on Theo’s bed in a heap of pillows and read and read and read…. He finally elected for a break after an hour, somewhere after George’s grandmother had exploded through the roof and there were giant pigs and cows leaping around the farm.

He asked for it again on Saturday and Sunday and we are perilously close to finishing, so I will have to see what other classics I have lurking on the bookshelf for our next read.

On another subject entirely, Theo’s hair is growing wildly out of control and I am still building up the courage to take him for another cut. Even at our local children’s salon with ride in cars, cartoons and lollipops, a haircut always induces a public meltdown with oceans of tears and desperate pleas for me to let him grow it. It’s not my favourite task.

Linking up with Katie for The Ordinary Moments and …

Living Arrows

Laura Pearson-Smith March 30, 2015 - 10:50 am

I loved Roald Dahl books. My favourite is still Matilda. The Quentin Blake illustrations made them so special x

Laura | A Life With Frills

Carie March 30, 2015 - 12:03 pm

oh that does sound like a fun way to spend an hour! Kitty was given some Roald Dahl stories for her Christmas present but I haven’t done more than dip into them yet, perhaps we need to pull them out and give them another go!

Sam @ Life of Mum March 30, 2015 - 12:21 pm

Is there anyone who doesn’t love Roald Dahl?!! I got my brother to buy Ella a collection of his books for Christmas when she was only 6 months old!! Can’t wait til she can really get stuck in to them! x #ordinarymoments

Alice Megan March 30, 2015 - 3:42 pm

I remember many an hour wasted reading Roald Dahl books!
The giraffe the pelly and me is always good for the younger reader

Donna March 30, 2015 - 4:06 pm

That was one of my favourite books from childhood and even now Roald Dahl is one of my favourite authors. I can’t wait until LP is just a bit bigger and I can introduce her to the wonderful world of Roadl Dahl x

gemma stevens March 30, 2015 - 6:51 pm

Roald Dahl books are a big hit in our house. We love every story but the boys always ask me to read them Matilda. Gorgeous photo by the way.

Polka Dot Family March 30, 2015 - 8:10 pm

Roald Dahl is a true classic, I can remember reading his books at primary school

Emma T March 30, 2015 - 8:54 pm

I might have to look out some similar books as N’s probably ready for them too. Haircuts are funny things – N quite likes having his done at a local barber’s run by a mother and daughter, but it must be a nightmare when they don’t like it. Maybe look for a mobile hairdresser coming to you?

Sian March 30, 2015 - 9:03 pm

Ah fabulous! He looks so happy with the book too. I cannot wait until mine are old enough for RD – such a magical adventure.

You Baby Me Mummy March 30, 2015 - 9:32 pm

Such fabulous books, lovely picture x

Katie @mummydaddyme March 30, 2015 - 10:02 pm

I absolutely love this Clare- when I was pregnant there were two things I imagined (obviously amongst lots of things) and bizarrely they were reading Roald Dahl and also The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton to my future children- both were childhood classics to me and I can’t wait to read them to the girls as they get bigger. I couldn’t pick a favourite by RD- maybe The Twits! x

Archie The Wonder Dog April 1, 2015 - 7:31 pm

I have a Roald Dahl calendar this year and I think I’ll be framing some, if not all, of the pictures once I’ve finished with it!

Globalmouse April 7, 2015 - 2:09 pm

Oh we love Roald Dahl too – so many great stories I don’t think there’s one I don’t like! I love his wicked sense of humour!!