Home garden Big gardening project finally complete!

Big gardening project finally complete!

Big gardening project finally complete!

Last week we finally completed the work on a big makeover project in our garden that we started nearly two years ago.

When we bought our house a huge swathe of the garden was taken up by a large flowerbed. There was also an overgrown Christmas tree obscuring our view and a hedge which had been consumed by brambles. Beneath it all were paving slabs, bricks and tree trunks – it was a mess! From the moment I saw it I desperately wanted to turn it back to grass to give us more useable space, but we had to wait another 5 years before we were able to move into the house ourselves and even think about tackling it.

The first job was to get the hedge out. When we started I honestly thought we’d finish the whole thing by the end of that month and rather optimistically described it on this blog as “June’s big gardening project.” Once we started it became apparent it was a massive job that was going to require a digger, a rotovator, many hours and lots of money. I started taking photos from the same spot in the garden to chart the progress and you can see not only the garden changing, but in the second set of images, you’ll see the house radically alter in the background too!

gardenmakeover1_2gardenmakeover2_2gardenmakover3_2gardenmakeover4_2

And here’s what it looks like looking back towards the house. Last year we added a first floor to our bungalow and gave it an external makeover. You can read more about that here.

gardenmakeover1_1gardenmakeover2_1gardenmakeover3_1gardenmakeover4_1

Jim did all the labour himself and spent many back-breaking hours of his weekends and leave working on it. I’m very proud of him and so impressed with how it’s turned out. Of course it’s going to take a little while for the grass to settle in, but it’s made a massive difference to the appearance of the garden already AND we had some incredible news last week which really has been the icing on the cake…

Do you remember this post I wrote at the beginning of the month with the accompanying video? Well we only WON the competition and we have had an amazing time selecting our £1500 of garden furniture from Debenhams. In fact we were so giddy with excitement that we actually splashed out on turf instead of sowing grass seed just so that we can get use out of the garden a little earlier! It just goes to show as I mentioned last month, it really is worth having a go with blogging competitions, because sometimes amazing things can happen…

Joining up with Mammasaurus…

Helen April 23, 2015 - 12:04 pm

Wow! Your bungalow looks just incredible. The change in the garden is equally impressive – I wouldn’t know where to start! I do not have greenfingers…can we borrow him for when we move?!

claremansell@mac.com April 23, 2015 - 12:13 pm

Thank you for making me smile Helen! We didn’t know where to begin either, it’s been a steep learning curve for all of us! 🙂

fashion-mommy April 23, 2015 - 12:09 pm

It all looks so fabulous – you have worked so hard on it. Well done for winning the competition too.

#UKBloggers

OneDad3Girls April 23, 2015 - 12:19 pm

Wow what a transformation, it looks like all the hard work has paid off.

Well done on winning the competition too

Claudia April 23, 2015 - 12:41 pm

wow!!! what a transformation! well done. congratulations looks beautiful

Mammasaurus April 23, 2015 - 4:06 pm

Oh my days what a difference and what a gorgeous home you have!
I remember thinking back to when we started our extensions how it would all be done in 4 months, now 9 months on there’s still finishing bits that need doing. Gardens have a habit of throwing surprises at you, random lumps of metal and dis-used soakaways in our case – all takes time and expense to remove. Mind you it’s always worth the effort in the end.
Now I’m off to look at your house project posts!
Thanks for joining in Clare – and well done on the comp!

Carin April 23, 2015 - 4:56 pm

Wow, awesome transformations to both the garden and the bungalow. And big congrats on winning the competition!

karen April 23, 2015 - 9:15 pm

It’s looking fab Clare & a. Huge congratulations. That’s. So exciting x

Donna April 23, 2015 - 9:38 pm

It looks so good! What a fantastic space for kids to play x

Ness April 23, 2015 - 9:49 pm

What a difference a good bit of lawn makes! I just want to run backwards and forwards on it!

Carie April 24, 2015 - 7:19 am

oh it looks incredible! It’s such a transformation and well done on winning the competition!

Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) April 24, 2015 - 11:32 am

Really look better! I have seen the past post about this and its so nice to see how it is now! #hdygg

Vickie April 25, 2015 - 2:28 pm

Wow what a truly amazing transformation! Your husband’s hard work has definitely paid off.

Congratulations on winning the contest too! I hope we’re due a wonderful summer so that you can enjoy your beautiful new garden.

chickenruby April 25, 2015 - 11:21 pm

congrats on winning the competition, i remember my parents taking on a project like this and took 4 days to remove one set of roots, they then hired a digger and finished removing the hedge in a day

Alina September 1, 2015 - 3:52 pm

I can’t believe what you’ve done – it looks amazing! I love the extension of your house too, looks super nice – garden is fab as well obvs 🙂