Home photography Toddlers with hoses and pondering a camera upgrade

Toddlers with hoses and pondering a camera upgrade

Toddlers with hoses and pondering a camera upgrade

One of the jobs that Theo really loves to do at my parents house is watering the vegetable plot. Partly because it feels like a grown-up job that he can do by himself and partly because it gives him the power of a garden hose!

gardenhose6gardenhose4gardenhose5

It doesn’t matter how many times we tell him not to point the hose at us (and particularly the camera) he just cannot resist it. My camera (a Nikon D7100) is weatherproof and is supposed to stand up to an occasional soaking without any problems, but I have never been quite confident enough to test that theory until recently. However things are changing slightly, I’m getting a tiny bit more relaxed about my SLR because I’m plotting an upgrade.

18844234939_92cc97a1a5_kgardenhose2

No matter how many times I tell myself I’ll be staying with a camera for a long time, there is always a tipping point around the two year mark where I start craving the capacities of the next model and right on cue it’s happened again. My next move will be to a full-frame camera, a switch I briefly flirted with two years ago before I got cold feet and ran back to the safety of a cropped frame model.

Summer is a time when we all get excited about taking photos again, but ultimately it’s when we all retreat inside our houses as the shorter days arrive in the autumn that we really start to test the capabilities of our cameras. I have decided that my personal cut off date to upgrade to my next camera model is October 23rd. It’s two days before the end of British summertime, but also more importantly it’s the date that baby number two is due…

Living Arrows

Amber June 22, 2015 - 2:42 pm

I actually screamed out loud when I reached the picture where water meets lens, Clare, and I play pretty hard with my camera toys!

I can’t wait to see what you produce with your new, even better camera!

Jenny June 22, 2015 - 4:45 pm

ahhh looks like so much fun. I love a good hose water fight! lol He is getting so grown up lately I can’t believe it. #livingarrows

Natalie {Little Jam Pot Life - blog} June 22, 2015 - 7:59 pm

Brilliant! love these images, such fun! xx

Lynn Goring Crook June 22, 2015 - 8:31 pm

Funny you say about a two year mark as that is exactly the same for me. My new camera comes this week and it costs a bomb every couple of years but I use my camera everyday, it goes everywhere, records everything and I feel because of this I get my money’s worth out of them. I always say: ‘this one will lady’s but it doesn’t the itch returns and then a new purchase has to be made!

Carie June 22, 2015 - 9:53 pm

Oh I love these photos – especially the ones where he’s soaking the camera!! The camera upgrade sounds very exciting, what a wonderful way to welcome baby 2! I think the next time I upgrade it will be to full frame but I’m going to have to wait a bit longer than October alas!

You Baby Me Mummy June 23, 2015 - 7:22 am

Gorgeous photos lovely lady xx

Maria (One Tiny Leap) June 28, 2015 - 5:48 am

Fantastic collection of photos! I mean, I did gasp when I saw the water-on-camera photo, but it’s brilliant 🙂 x