Home photography I was wrong about boys haircuts…

I was wrong about boys haircuts…

I used to think that all boy’s haircuts should be short and neat, almost (dare I say it) military like in their tidiness. Then I met this boy, with his absolute and profound loathing of the hairdressers and his belief that if his hair is getting too long the obvious solution is to “Curl it Mummy”

theo181015_edit_1600

And I realised it was me who was wrong. Cutting his hair might not have been robbing him of his strength, but it was robbing him of his character. With his big laugh and cheeky personality he was never going to entirely suit a uniform cut.

Now it’s grown longer, the highlights in his hair are souvenirs he carries from warmer months and though he dresses smartly and proudly in his new school uniform, his hair says he is still an individual and a little child.

Our compromise is the agreement of a fringe trim every month or so. My sister bravely wields the scissors and we try to get it done with the minimum of fuss. Yesterday was the day : Two minutes in the kitchen in his chair, a quick squirt of water and a couple of bold and precise snips.

I’m loving being able to see his eyebrows again.

Living Arrows

Lucy DearBeautiful October 19, 2015 - 6:15 am

I love that line about his highlights being souvenirs from warmer months… my little man’s highlights are one of a catalogue of reasons that I hate getting his hair cut. I love those blonder than blonde ends. We have a mini battle, my husband and I, every couple of months about our sons hair; he feels it should be a short back and sides job, and I like his longer surfer hair. So far, I win! It suits his personality to be a bit scruffy round the edges, and it gives him a bit of character… as it does your little man. Yay for boys with longer hair!

Bex October 19, 2015 - 9:00 am

He is a little smasher! We also have a longer style than I’d ever imagined but why should they conform? Loving the fringe 🙂

Katrina Chambers October 19, 2015 - 10:55 am

I totally agree with your new assessment, my son has lovely thick hair with a mind of its own and curly bits and I just cannot bear to cut it really short, he doesn’t look like the same cute, cheeky chappy when I do, so I say keep it longer. So handsome!
Katrina x

Carie October 19, 2015 - 12:56 pm

Oh he does have the most wonderful impish grin! My Pip has just had his first cut (sob for the baby curls that are no more) and it’s opening up a whole new world of little boy hairstyles- girls were easier, we just let it grow!!

You Baby Me Mummy October 19, 2015 - 7:27 pm

This is such a cheeky picture! Baby is 2.5 and hasn’t had a single snip yet! Such a lovely post x

Sarah October 19, 2015 - 8:56 pm

He does have a very cheeky expression on his face! Toby’s hair is looking very similar at the moment – he’s ended up with longer hair simply because he won’t let me near it to cut it usually. I did manage to cut his fringe the other week though – it had got to the point where he was tipping his head back to see under it so it really did need cutting. I love his hair longer though, and his is very blonde too. I wonder if it will get darker over the winter?

Jenna October 20, 2015 - 9:02 am

Oh bless him – I really couldn’t imagine his hair being any other way.

I think you’ve reached a good compromise. 🙂

I was scared of the hairdressers when I was his age… and you know what? I still am. 😉

#LivingArrows

Emma T October 24, 2015 - 10:24 pm

Aw, he is cute, and I think the longer hair makes them look their age rather than older. Mind you, I’m a short hair all the way, and thankfully N likes having his hair cut – I think he’d be at the barber’s every week given the choice!