Today I’m sharing a quilt I completed just before Alice was born, but have only just got round to photographing. November is not the best time of year to photograph anything, least of all quilts, so it’s probably not shown in (literally) the best light, but it’s a long time till spring…
I’ve wanted to make a star quilt almost as long as I have been making quilts, but there is one big problem with star quilts which is that there are SO many ways of doing them. I spent hours browsing Flickr and Pinterest seeing patterns and I’d like them for a bit, then I’d see another and like it more. In the end I settled on the Sawtooth Star block and used the tutorial on Sew Mama Sew.
This quilt took rather a long time to finish and meandered a bit from its original purpose. When I started it I intended for it to be a quilt for our bed, but I bought random quantities of fabric without thinking through how much I’d need and by the time I’d made enough blocks to realise I needed more of the fabric, it was sold out everywhere.
That is also only half the story, because I didn’t actually make most of the blocks on this quilt! I farmed them out to my quilt bee last year and then I sat on them for about 12 months because I was short of the material to make up a final green block which I needed.
In the end the way I got round it was to unpick another (spare) block I had made, sew it all together as a square of fabric and then cut it up again in the dimensions I needed for the block.
The finished result was much smaller than the original superking I had planned, but its found a home in our sitting room where the colours go really well with the red leather sofa. Theo did try to claim it for his own as he has expressly asked for “one quilt for every day of the week” but this is one project he’s not having for his room!
If you liked this, you might also like…