Home family life What’s it like to have a Merlin annual pass?

What’s it like to have a Merlin annual pass?

What’s it like to have a Merlin annual pass?

I am very proud to be starting 2016 off with two new blogging collaborations and today we can announce the first of them… This year we are going to be Merlin Annual Pass Ambassadors. Over the coming months we will be visiting at least six of the attractions and sharing our experiences on social media and this blog.

As you can imagine Theo is extremely excited (especially about Legoland) and we are also hoping his teenage cousin Millie will be joining us on a few of the outings to give us her perspective on the parks and attractions.

Although we visited the SEA LIFE Centre in London only a few months ago, it has been a long time since I last went to some of the other Merlin sites. In fact I last visited Thorpe Park when I was at primary school, I still remember being unable to sleep the night before because of the excitement!

Fortunately we have good friends who had passes last year and they filled their Christmas card with stories of the great experiences they had, so I decided to ask them a few questions about what it’s been like having an annual pass.

Sharkbait Reef at Alton Towers Resort. Merlin annual pass

Pam & Damian visiting Alton Towers

Pam & Damian are the parents to Olivia 7 and Alexis 6 and live in Wiltshire

Was last year the first time you have had a Merlin pass?

Yes, we have been living abroad for a number of years so this is the first opportunity we have had to enjoy the benefits that the Merlin pass is giving us.

Why did you decide to get one now?

We bought our first passes in April 2015 as we decided that we wanted to have some fun together as a family and we are within easy reach of 3 of the largest parks. we felt our children are at the perfect age to enjoy the rides that the parks have to offer and it’s great for us to spend family time together.

Which pass did you choose and why?

We bought 4 standard passes (3 with our Tesco clubcard points!).

How many trips did you do with it?

We honestly can’t remember the exact number but we have spent 4 days at Alton Towers, 10 trips to Chessington World of Adventures, 5 trips to legoland Windsor, 2 trips to Thorpe Park, one trip to Warwick castle, one to Weymouth sealife centre and one to Birmingham Sealife centre. We have a trip planned for February to visit all the London attractions for a long weekend.

Which was your favourite trip?

The family favourite has been Chessington World of adventures by far for day trips. However our favourite park is Alton Towers.

Is there anything you would have done differently and would you consider buying a pass again?

We will definitely be renewing our passes next year but instead of 4 standard passes we will make sure we get one premium pass to get the added benefit of free parking at the parks which has added up to more than we expected purely because we have made such good use of the passes. We will also get the benefit of taking our daughters friends to the parks for a much reduced entry fee for her birthday.

More questions? Leave them in the comments and I’ll get Pam & Damian to answer or check myself with the Merlin Annual Pass team.

Pirate Falls Treasure Quest at Legoland. Merlin annual pass

One of Pam & Damian’s Legoland trips

The Merlin Annual pass sale started yesterday and runs until 15th February. Passes are available from just £99 per person and give you access to some of the UK’s biggest and best attractions, including the Coca-Cola London Eye, THORPE PARK Resort, Dream Works Tours Shrek’s Adventure! London, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, Cbeebies Land at Alton Towers Resort, LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort, The National SEA LIFE Centre Birmingham and more

To find out more visit merlinannualpass.co.uk

Merlin Annual Pass ambassador

Chloe (Sorry About The Mess) January 2, 2016 - 12:17 pm

I think they are so worthwhile if you plan to use them well. We debated getting annual passes as a Christmas present for the family this year (Arlo has been harassing me about Cbeebies Land, and they both LOVE Legoland), then decided with another baby on the way half way through the year maybe the year after would be better when we can use our time more wisely. Will be so much fun for Theo, can’t wait to read about your adventures!

Samantha Rickelton January 2, 2016 - 12:25 pm

Fab – I think we are going to buy annual passes next Jan so will definitely go for premium after reading your advice re: car parking.

What is the reduced entry for guests deal?

claremansell@mac.com January 2, 2016 - 6:55 pm

Pam says… “With the Premium Pass you can take 3 friends in for £10 each”

Dawn &Bean January 2, 2016 - 12:39 pm

Exciting, looking forward to reading all about your trips 🙂

Ness @ JibberJabberUK January 4, 2016 - 7:19 am

We went to Legoland last year and the kids loved it. I’ve never been to Warwick Castle, Alton Towers or Thorpe Park so it may be worthwhile planning out the year.

JuggleMum, Nadine Hill January 4, 2016 - 7:41 am

How lucky for Pam and Damian to be within reach of the 3 biggest parks! That would definitely make the pass worthwhile!

Kizzy January 4, 2016 - 7:52 am

Congratulations, we’ve been to a couple of Merlin attractions but living in the Midlands there are only a few close by. Look forward to hearing what you think.

Kara January 4, 2016 - 7:57 am

Congratulations – we love Merlin attractions and have MAP too

Carolynne @ Mummy Endeavours January 4, 2016 - 11:15 am

Wow! So lucky to be Ambassadors… very jealous here! My Teen has an annual pass for Thorpe Park as he loves it there and it’s our closest one. I would love to buy annual passes for all the family as I do think it’s an incentive to visit all the parks more than you would otherwise! x

Sonia January 4, 2016 - 2:18 pm

I always wonder wether it would be worth it for us or not, in truth I don’t think we live in the right area of the country. Looks like your friends had a great time though x

Em @ snowingindoors January 5, 2016 - 11:13 am

Congratulations! I think we might get passes next year, they’re a great idea and we LOVE LEGOland

Rachel In Real Life January 5, 2016 - 4:02 pm

I didn’t realise just how many places the Merlin Passes cover. We are hoping to go to London for a long weekend so this may be something for us to consider.

robyn January 5, 2016 - 7:40 pm

How exciting! I’ve looked at buying these a few times, but its just such an expensive investment – I know it pays off though, especially during the holidays. I can’t wait to read all about your adventures, might persuade me to finally invest.

Tanya January 6, 2016 - 10:13 pm

We’re trying different passes/season tickets each year, I’ve already chosen our new one for this year but I will keep Merlin in mind for next year.

Ruthy @ Minibreak Mummy January 9, 2016 - 5:09 pm

We love the Legoland Discovery Centre at the Trafford Centre in Manchester. The cheapest way to go seems to be to book advance tickets for 4pm onwards, which also means it’s relatively quiet. I would definitely get a Merlin Pass if we lived closer to more of the attractions.