A few weeks ago I mentioned that Theo had decided he wanted to move into Alice’s room. We were quite cautious about agreeing to this as we didn’t want to relocate everything only to find he went off the idea a few days later, so for a week we made him sleep on a trundle bed in her room before agreeing to take apart and move his own bed. Typically the moment we did this he picked up a really persistent cough and I ended up having to take him out of the room in the middle of the night and put him on a mattress in his old room.
After a week of sleeping on a mattress on the floor of his old bedroom we decided it would probably be wise to consider some sort of day bed option in the second room just in case we needed to separate the two of them again. So to cut a very long story short, we bought one (at the Feather & Blacks outlet) he loved it, the cough went and now he doesn’t want to go back to Alice’s room – ahhhhhh!!
The one positive in all of this is that it prompted a bit of a tidy up and reorganisation of Theo’s bedroom.We moved a few things into Alice’s room (which can stay there) and created a bit of space for other things, one of which was the teepee I recently made using the Very Easy Teepee Pattern from Bear In The Hood.
The pattern is aimed at beginner sewers and suggests using pinking shears and raw edges throughout. The bulk of the fabric you need is Calico which helps to keep the cost down, but even so it still required £35 worth and after spending that much I decided I really wanted to make my teepee last and I didn’t want to risk any fraying, so I deviated from the instructions and added a little extra to the pattern pieces to create French seams, which of course turned a straightforward pattern into a much longer project – I have only myself to blame!
As I put it together I was a little concerned that it wouldn’t have enough height, but you can alter its splay quite a bit depending on how tightly you tie the poles together at the top. I picked the floral fabric because this was supposed to be something for Alice’s room, but once again Theo claimed it for himself! Hopefully by the time she is old enough to play with it, he’ll have moved on to something else!
My other project for Theo’s room was a bargain pine chest of drawers which I bought on eBay for £30 several months ago. Until Alice’s birth he had been using the same John Lewis changing table/chest of drawers which we bought 4 years ago, but we needed the changing table for the nursery and something new for him for storage.
The chest of drawers we bought came on a set of castors (which I think had put a lot of people off buying them) We removed the castors as soon as it arrived and stuck them on our TV unit (which we’d been meaning to buy castors for!) Here’s what it looked like before I did the makeover…
We’d already painted a pine wardrobe in his room with Annie Sloan Greek blue paint, so I used the same tin to overhaul this and added some clam shell handles I bought for £5 (for the lot)
Another second hand bit of furniture saved from a landfill! Not only do you give it a new life, but you also end up with a really solid bit of furniture for a fraction of the cost of something flatpack… and it’s quite fun to do!
Linking up with the lovely Pam over at Life With Munchers…