Spare room makeover – A sneak preview of the progress
There was a point about a week ago when I was ready to give up on trying to make our spare room makeover work and we even discussed changing round the rooms to put the bed in the study next door where there was more space, but I struggled on and having hit that low point, almost immediately everything started to slot into place.
The pine bed is now painted and a load of new bedding has been purchased for bargain prices taking advantage of Tesco clubcard points and Wayfair discounts in exchange for reviews. (I’ll share the full details on this when I do the room reveal) I found a couple of cushions in our local charity shop for £3 each which I’m recovering with fabric I already had and I talked Jim into allowing us to try out frosted glass film on part of the windows to hide the awful view and amazingly we both loved the result!
I also found a bedside unit for £6 which I did a complete transformation on sanding it down and painting it with the same tin of paint I had for the bed (which in itself was part of a swap with my sister)
The artificial light in the room was terrible, so we bought a new LED light-bulb for the overhead light which made a huge difference (and only cost £3.99) along with a new lightshade made from a lighter shade of fabric.
With all the white in the room, I wanted an injection of colour and found this gorgeous wool rainbow throw and an Orla Kiley cushion which the folks at Hurn & Hurn kindly sent us. (I also bought a Christmas present from them, their shop is fab!)
Then I went into the loft and delved into the boxes and boxes of pictures we had. I dug out all the ones with black frames, cleaned them up and found free printables to fill them with (again, I’ll share links in the reveal).
But even after all that progress, there’s still lots to do! I have to pick fabric for the curtains (though my brilliant mum has offered to make them up for me, hurray!) We need to provide some space for our guests to hang clothes, hang all the pictures in a gallery wall, take down the old horizontal blinds, make cushion covers and see if I can find someone who will 3D print the tiny missing part of the shower unit. If there’s anything left in the budget I also fancy some succulents on the windowsill to replace the ‘outside’ that we are now hiding from view.
We are on target to finish everything by the time our first guests arrive in mid-January and already the room looks more inviting than our own bedroom (uh-oh, I see another makeover coming soon!)
At the moment I think I have spent about £150 on everything and curtain fabric will bring that to about £200, but we haven’t compromised on a thing. All the fabrics are new, the bed has a mattress topper and down duvet and our guests even have new towels and a bath mat.
If you want to see updates as the makeover continues, please join me over on my facebook page where I’m sharing things like the charity shop chest of drawers I have just bought!
If you liked this, you might also like…